Who we are
Tribal Health Initiative was started in 1992 by Dr. Regi George and Dr. Lalitha Regi. Today we have expanded into a team of over 55 highly trained people, working to improve the lives of the tribal communities living in the Sittilingi valley and surrounding hills through a variety of programmes in health care, community health, farming and craft work.
Our vision is that the people of Sittilingi valley and Kalrayan Hills lead a better quality of life. We hope
- To attain the highest possible level of physical, mental and social health.
- To enhance their socio-economic status while retaining their pride, self-respect and self-reliance and ensuring their active participation in programmes meant for their welfare.
- To create an atmosphere highly conducive for the growth and development of local cultures and customs.
THI seeks to work with tribal people in a spirit of peace, understanding, trust, and justice.
Our mission for the people of the Sittilingi valley and the Kalrayan hills is
- To be an educator to protect and promote health and improve basic knowledge levels.
- To provide affordable and acceptable basic health care services to the area.
- To be a facilitator to help people undertake collective action for their welfare.
- To provide a support system to help people come back to sustainable methods of farming.
- To facilitate peoples knowledge about their rights and responsibilities.
- To help them acquire additional skills and assist them in achieving self reliance through small scale entrepreneurship.
- To provide support for the social upliftment while retaining and building on their local cultural strengths
The basic values for our work is
- Faith in the people and their wisdom
- Sincerity , honesty and total commitment in our work
- Secular and non political
- To respect the dignity of every individual