Who we are
Dear Friend, We have a small THI staff team running in the TCS World 10k on 21 May this year for our HEALTH programme – both physical and mental HEALTH! Our Tribal communities physical health; and your peace of mind! Last year we were very pleased to participate and raised Rs 15 lakh (US$ 22,000). This year we are targeting Rs 20 lakh (US$ 30,000) to build up our ‘Emergency Health’ fund. Please support us as much as you possibly can.
Tribal Health Initiative was started in 1992 by Dr. Regi George and Dr. Lalitha Regi. Today we have expanded into a team of over 55 highly trained people, working to improve the lives of the tribal communities living in the Sittilingi valley and surrounding hills through a variety of programmes in health care, community health, farming and craft work.
Our vision is that the people of Sittilingi valley and Kalrayan Hills lead a better quality of life. We hope
- To attain the highest possible level of physical, mental and social health.
- To enhance their socio-economic status while retaining their pride, self-respect and self-reliance and ensuring their active participation in programmes meant for their welfare.
- To create an atmosphere highly conducive for the growth and development of local cultures and customs.
THI seeks to work with tribal people in a spirit of peace, understanding, trust, and justice.
Our mission for the people of the Sittilingi valley and the Kalrayan hills is
- To be an educator to protect and promote health and improve basic knowledge levels.
- To provide affordable and acceptable basic health care services to the area.
- To be a facilitator to help people undertake collective action for their welfare.
- To provide a support system to help people come back to sustainable methods of farming.
- To facilitate peoples knowledge about their rights and responsibilities.
- To help them acquire additional skills and assist them in achieving self reliance through small scale entrepreneurship.
- To provide support for the social upliftment while retaining and building on their local cultural strengths
The basic values for our work is
- Faith in the people and their wisdom
- Sincerity , honesty and total commitment in our work
- Secular and non political
- To respect the dignity of every individual